Monday, July 26, 2010

INCREDIABLE AMERICAN INDIAN PAPER ART


These stunningly detailed sculptures are made from a paper mixture. - The intricate creations depict Native American scenes and took up to 11 months to make using a specially formulated paper
Husband and wife team Allen and Patty Eckman put paper pulp into clay moulds and pressurise it to remove the water .
The hard, lightweight pieces are then removed and the couple painstakingly add detailed finishings with a wide range of tools .
They have been making the creations since 1987 at their home studio, in South Dakota. The pieces depict traditional scenes from Native American history of Cherokees hunting and dancing .
The most expensive piece is called Prairie Edge Powwow which sold for $47,000

Allen said: "We create Indians partly because my great, great grandmother was a Cherokee ...
I work on the men and animals and Patty does the women and children" explains Allen "I enjoy most doing the detail.
The paper really lends itself to unlimited detail. I'm really interested in the Indians' material, physical and spiritual culture and that whole period of our nation's history I find fascinating.
From the western expansion, through the Civil War and beyond is of great interest to me.
Allen explained their technique: "It should not be confused with papier mache. The two mediums are completely different. I call what we do 'cast paper sculpture'"
( Enlarge to enjoy the fine details )












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I have no words for this! Exquisite doesn't say enough!
Diane

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Yes they are.


Rose

Pearl said...

Amazingly beautiful!

Unknown said...

Wow, these are absolutely amazing! Having had a "thing" for Native Americans (as well as possibly having a NA ancestor, well, according to rumors anyway) for the last 15 years or so, I've browsed the net as seen many beautiful art pieces concerning the subject, but this.... well, this is something very very special. I've never seen anything like it! Just stunning!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Simply breath taking. Thanks for shareing it Rose.
Love
Marcie
ps..you have one of those oriental comments...I believe they are x-rated adds.

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Yes, Marcie, thanks, I have been doing "battle" with this for months now...and I don't know how to get rid of them.
DO YOU ?
I posted an announcement not to click on their site.
Rose